Monday, October 31, 2011

Day One of “The Orphan Table Diet”



I had cornmeal mush for breakfast and a plate of rice and beans for lunch. It really isn’t all that bad. I am a little hungry since I am not snacking. What makes it more difficult is that today is Halloween, and we have Kid’s Club. I have already been offered treats more than once and I am sure it will continue. So I put a sign in the church kitchen reading, “Please don’t feed the pastor.”

Two thoughts have occurred to me. The first is: This diet would be easier if I didn’t have so many other options. Most orphans don’t have these same choices. Any food looks good when it is all you have. I am not complaining, just observing. My second thought is: With every option before Him, Jesus chose the more humble path. If there was ever a guy that had options, it was Jesus. In Philippians 2:5-7 we are told, “Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men.”

Jesus could have chosen not to become a man. He could have been born of any family on earth, but was born into a poor family. Although He was God in the flesh, he chose to empty Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant. Ultimately, He chose to lay down His life on the cross.

Lord, give us strength to have the attitude that was in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment